Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Mysticism of the Sword in Germanic Myth and Culture

In my first year of college, I took a class called Ancient Epic, where we examined elements and themes of archetypal ancient stories, such as the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Odyssey, the Táin, and the Mahabharata.  I can honestly say that my imagination was seized so heavily by this class that I could rarely take notes for sketching places, artifacts, and characters.  However, I was able to channel my love of myth and my research into Germanic anthropology into this paper, which generally identifies the place of swords in the stories and life of the Migration and Viking periods, and integrates their mystical and magical reality to those who made and wielded them. 

Click on the link below to read it!

The Mysticism of the Sword in Germanic Myth and Culture (PDF)



No comments:

Post a Comment